Monday, May 23, 2016

Trim Healthy Mama in a Large Family #1

So, I posted before about how my diet is structured around the Trim Healthy Mama plan.   This week, my THM post is a look at how I fed my family of 8 and only spent $197.  Here's the break down...

Menu Plan (all recipes come from the THM Cookbook)
    I don't really decide what I'm making until that day...


~ Coconut Thai Chicken (pg. 45) {S}

~ Cabb & Saus Skillet (pg. 58) {S}

~ Fakertot Casserole (pg. 147) {S}

~ Spaghetti & Meatballs w/Dreamfields pasta

~ Homemade Pizza (on plan for me, off plan for the rest of the fam)
   [crust recipe found here:  All Day I Dream About Food]

~ Hamburgers & Coleslaw (pg. 230) {S}

~ Wipe Your Mouth BBQ (pg. 43) {E}



I loaded all  6 kiddos into our van and drove up to the grocery store.  My list was one page long, also containing some non-food items that aren't a necessity so I left some out.  Most of my cart gets filled up  in the produce section.  After a ton of zig-zagging, and a bathroom break for almost everyone, I finished up and headed to the checkout lane.  (please note that not all of the food in my list is THM approved. My hubby and kids don't do THM 100%.)  My list included:

2 cabbages
20 apples
6 bottles kombucha soda
2 cartons fresh strawberries
2 cartons fresh blueberries
2 loaves sprouted bread
1 carton mushrooms
1 bag pre-mixed coleslaw base
2lbs. ground beef
1lb. bacon
1lb. turkey bacon
1 container sliced roast beef
2 links smoked sausage
2 bags frozen meatballs
2 bottles coffee creamer
1lb. block mozzarella cheese
1 bag frozen seasoning blend
2 bags frozen stir fry veggies
3 bags frozen mixed veggies
1 bottle nutritional yeast
14lb. bag of dog food
2 cans coconut milk
2 packages boxed Thai food
2 jars spaghetti sauce
2 boxed Dreamfields pasta
1 bag peanut powder
2 cartons assorted cookies
2 bags cereal
1 package paper towels
3 boxes smoked oysters
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 carton chicken broth
1 carton beef broth
5 bottles Hog Wash juice

*if I've forgotten anything I will add it.


So, all of this and I had $2.50 in coupons so my grand total was $197!!  All of these meals are filling for my large family, and there are always leftovers for my hubby for work the next day!  If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will answer them as soon as I can! 

8 comments:

  1. What is the family eating for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids usually have off plan cereal, sometimes oatmeal. I have scrambled eggs on sprouted toast, which is a crossover...I am nursing my baby at the moment. I do also enjoy oatmeal, MiMs, and if I make THM desserts I'll have that for breakfast. I like to have a cup of coffee or collagen tea as well.

      Delete
    2. The cereal I get for my kids has minimal sugar...mostly honey. When I make them oatmeal it's flavored with peanut butter.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that just for a weeks worth of dinner???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a weeks worth of food for every meal. some things we stll have from the previous week or in our freezer when we stock up.

      Delete
    2. I really don't plan out mt breakfasts and lunches. I just eat whatever I feel like that day.

      Delete